Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Wedding

On Aug 1st, our friends Dev Patel and Lisa Jones got sealed in the San Diego Temple. I was unable to attend due to work but I heard it was beautiful. In respect of Dev's parents, they also had an Indian Wedding. We have never been to one before, and what an experience it was! That night we went to the "Garba" which is the "kickoff" for the Indian wedding. There was food and ALOT of dancing! It was so much fun! We learned how to Indian dance! I will post those pictures once I get them. On Saturday Aug. 2nd was the Indian wedding ceremony. It was interesting to experience another culture. In the Indian culture, they have arranged marriages. Because Dev and Lisa are not practicing Hindu, (because they are Mormon) they still had to re-in act the steps of meeting the person for the first time, the gifts that were used to bribe and alot more. I didn't understand alot of it, but I was able to understand enough. It was very elaborate and a great experience. I only have pictures of the Indian ceremony because I wasn't at the Temple the previous day.

The Bride

The GroomThe Bride walking down the isle


The ladies bringing gifts to the Bride
One of the many dancers
Congrats Dev and Lisa!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Looks like a very cool Hindi ceremony. Seems like fun!

Emily said...

What an interesting experience. I am going to try and make it to her reception this weekend!