Monday, May 17, 2010

The first week home pretty overwhelming. I won't lie about that. I was in major pain from the c-section, we were all sleep deprived and Hailee was very emotional about our new family life.
Adding a second child to the picture wasn't hard at all. The hardest part which I never realized would be how emotionally hard it would be on Hailee, and myself. I didn't even think about that once we were home, I would not be able to pick her up like I used to. We had a really hard time with that because she didn't understand.
We both cried alot. Hailee would want me to pick her up and hold her, "Momma, please hold" was what I heard alot. Just broke my heart! I had to tell her that Mommy has an owie on my tummy, and I would show her my incision, and told her that once it was better than I could pick her up and hold her. She would fall to the ground and just cry. I would try my best to comfort her but it was still so heart breaking!
Once Gregg went back to work that week, my Mom came and stayed with us. That was a huge blessing. Hailee needed her. Alot. My Mom was Hailee's solid anchor...someone who she knew would be able to give her all of the attention she needed.
My Mom took care of Hailee 24/7 so I could focus on Jake and trying to let my body heal. I would try and play with Hailee through out the day, but she didn't want anything to do with me. Towards the end of the week though, Hailee was getting used to the "new life" and was doing much better!
I am so very thankful for my Mom. She truly is amazing and is such a wonderful help to us!
A few pictures from the first week:
Jake in his crib

Hailee rocking her "Brooke" to sleep


Jake
Daddy and his lil munchkins
First time out in the sun
Our friends came to visit and Hailee was sooo EXCITED to see Deacon! They rode bikes and ran around so much! It was so nice to see Hailee so happy and excited!
By the end of the first week, I decided that we needed to go on a family walk! I was also dying to get out of the house! LOL. So this is their first stroller ride together!

12 comments:

Amanda said...

I have said so many times that I think the adjustment from 1 to 2 is not as difficult "physically" as 2-3 would be, but "emotionally" it is a HUGE challenge. It is hard knowing how to cope with adding another child to the family, for the parents and the child that was used to be the only one. Hang in there. Know that everyone deals with it. If you need to talk to someone who also went through a rough transition, call me. Just know that it gets better, everyone adjusts, and it happens relatively fast. Your children are beautiful and sweet and you are so blessed!

Trent and Kristi said...

I am so sorry...hang in there - it WILL get better! I think it took me a good 3 months to adjust going from 1-2 kids, and 6 months to feel like I had it DOWN. I think my problem was that I expected WAY too much of myself and Kami, and realized that I needed to not be so hard on myself or her. I counted the days I took a shower and fed myself and the kids a "good" day! Anyway, there's my 2 cents. He is so cute and you are doing great!

Jessica said...

I loved the update! Jake looks like a sweet little boy. I'm glad it all went well bringing him into the world :) i hope you recover swiftly and can get out of the house more soon. You looked so pretty on your last belly shot, made me want to be pregnant again, i LOVE that big belly. it's so much fun, until you have to lose it lol let us know when we can come visit!!!

Jessica said...

p.s.it does get better, like everyone is telling you. I had a hard time dividing up my time. Feeing braden, playing with riley, just cuddling with braden, feeding riley, taking her potty, reading her books, etc etc. I felt sooo divided! but as braden got older riley could do more with him, so that meant we could all 3 do more things together and it got wayyyy easier :)

The Ward Family said...

Great pics! Love the C section one! I can imagine it must be overwhelming. Im nervous about that myself when the baby comes. Think about u often!

Heidi said...

It is quite an adjustment for sure. still to this day Jackson will see me holding Daphne and want me to hold him. Daphne is going to be a year old in 2 weeks! They just want that attention they were used to. You will get through it!

Emily said...

It is very overwhelming at first, but just give her more time and she will adjust and they will be best buddies. Once you get the schedule down your life will seem soooo much easier. Hang in there!!!! Your kiddies are adorable.

Genn said...

Congratulations Laurrie! Jake is a cutie pie. I hope your are feeling better soon, and the new normalcy of life starts to begin. Hang in there. He's a doll.

BL said...

you just about broke my heart talking about hailee's difficulty with the new family addition. You totally forget that its not just an adjustment for the mom, but also for the 1st child. Glad its getting better and hope it continues to :)

Shannon said...

Cute pics! He has such good coloring, and just looks so healthy! I love him in his big fireman crib...you really forget how tiny they start out, I can't believe that is our big brother and sister riding around bikes in the neighborhood...so big now... and they always have fun running around crazy together! Hang in there!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Girl you have such dang beautiful little kiddos and you are doing a great job with them both. I can't wait to see you all again and hold that little guy! Great job for getting caught up on your blogging. It took me forever to get back into things. YOU GO GIRL!!!

Jess Edling said...

Such a cute family! You guys take great pictures. Sounds like that first week was rough but you handled it great. You're such a rock star! :-)